Closing Date: June 2019
Stena Drilling is one of the world’s leading companies in the development, construction and operation of offshore drilling rigs and drillships. Our fleet of four ultra-Deepwater drillships and two semi-submersible rigs.
Stena Drilling manages an international drilling operation, based on experience from worldwide projects. Our core values are focused on care, innovation and performance.
The pursuit of these goals looks to ensure positive client relations, exceptional performance within our industry and strives to improve the safety, both to the environment and to all personnel involved.
As a family owned company, we realise the importance of our world class employees in the successful delivery of our safe and efficient drilling operations.
We currently have exciting opportunities for a Barge Engineer, to work on a permanent basis assigned to one of our DP semi-submersible units. Suitable applicants should have experience working on similar Drilling Units.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage the safe efficient running of the Marine Department as directed by Barge Master.
- Deputises for Barge Master in the event that the Barge Master becomes incapacitated.
- Bosun, Crane Operator, Control Room Operator, Radio Operator, (and DP) report to Barge Engineer during shift.
- On Scene Commander during an emergency.
- Ensure that Daily Heli-Fuel checks are carried out by the HLO or designate.
- Monitor weather conditions, vessel position and mooring tensions (where applicable).
- Supervise stability, stability calculations and ballast operations, and maintain the watertight integrity.
- Ensure lifting equipment is maintained and inspected to LOLER and local standards. Ensure all lifting equipment is safe for use and colour coded. To maintain an up to date register of equipment and follow quarantine procedures.
- Ensure that lifting & rigging operations, supply boat and deck lifts are controlled and carried out safely. Lift Plans, Risk Assessments and Procedures are strictly followed, complying with LOLER. Crane Operations are carried out within the Operational parameters.
- Ensure loading and transfer of Fuel Oil, Base Oil, OBM, SBM, Brines and bulk material follow procedures and within the operational limitations.
- To maintain the bulk system ready for use.
- Ensure a supply of cement to the cement unit surge tank during cementing operations, whilst on duty.
- Maintain marine planned maintenance including all marine, firefighting, and lifesaving equipment.
- Any other duties as required by Master/OIM and/or Barge Master.
- Allocate tasks to Senior D.P.O. (DP Vessels), Control Room Operator (Semi-Submersibles) and provide adequate supervision in order to ensure that all such tasks are carried out in a safe and efficient manner.
- Responsible and accountable for the safety of the personnel working under their direction and shall be expected to conduct operations at all times in full compliance with company procedures (SMS)
- Identify and address any violations of procedures concerning personnel under their direction.
- Continuous or repeated violations of policies or procedures should be highlighted and brought to the attention of the HoD/Master-OIM.
- Comply with the Management of Change Principle.
- Actively participate in accident/incident investigations when required.
Health, Safety & Environment
- Work according to and promote Stena Drilling’s HS&E Policies and Procedures as well as fully commit to preventing any damage to the environment.
- Responsible and accountable to conduct their tasks in full compliance with Stena Drilling Limited procedures.
- Comply with Stena Drilling procedures for management of risk and Safe Behaviour Programme; ensuring that a suitable and sufficient risk assessment is carried out for all work activities.
- Participate in the STOP system, complete and submit cards after discussions. Monitor and coach crewmembers to participate in STOP and carry out STOP audits.
- Promote Stena Drilling’s “Golden Rules” and the rig’s “House Rules” during team discussions.
- Attend and participate in Tool Box Talks and After Action Reviews.
- Ensure work site is safe and that all tools used are in a satisfactory condition.
- Ensure that storage, handling and use of chemicals are done in accordance with procedures.
- Ensure equipment is secured to prevent movement due to wind or rig motion.
- Ensure familiar with correct use, type and location of all Oil Spill Equipment.
- Comply with Stena Drilling’s waste segregation policy.
- Undertake training onshore and offshore to comply with the Training Matrix requirements for Barge Engineer.
- Complete Stena Drilling’s Competence Assurance Scheme within 12 months of being assigned.
Qualifications & Experience
Essential qualifications required for this position include Valid Marine Class 2 (Chief Mates) Certificate of Competency or entitlement to obtain UK Class 2 (Chief Mate) Certificate of Equivalent Competency, Unlimited Valid DP Certificate & Stability 3 Certificate. The successful candidate will have previous experience as a Supervisor Offshore.