Closing Date: January 2020
Stena Drilling is one of the world’s leading companies in the development, construction and operation of offshore drilling rigs and drill ships. Our fleet of four ultra-Deepwater drill ships and two semi-submersible rigs. Stena Drilling manages an international drilling operation, based on experience from worldwide projects. Our core values are focused on care, innovation and performance. The pursuit of these goals looks to ensure positive client relations, exceptional performance within our industry and strives to improve the safety, both to the environment and to all personnel involved. As a family owned company, we realise the importance of our world class employees in the successful delivery of our safe and efficient drilling operations.
We currently have a new and exciting opportunity, for a Barge Master to join the Marine Department on the Stena Don, which is a harsh environment DP Class 3 semi-submersible drilling vessel, this is a permanent core crew position. Some of the duties & responsibilities include:
- Acts as Head of the Marine Department Offshore.
- Deputises for Master/OIM in the event that the Master/OIM becomes incapacitated, second in command of the Vessel.
- Reviews and updates Risk Assessments & Rig Specific Work Methods with Marine crews on a regular basis. Ensure the appropriate Risk Assessment is reviewed prior to the commencement of each task. Update Risk Assessments and Rig Specific Work Methods and Procedures, following task completion where lessons learned can positively affect future similar operation.
- Supervise safety drills and emergency team training, ensuring that they are carried out in accordance to the company’s expectations.
- Where there is no appointed Safety Officer on the vessel, to act as Safety Officer.
- Organise the workload of the deck crew, ensuring safe, efficient and effective operations.
- Ensure that Dynamic Positioning and/or Mooring Operations are conducted in accordance to the company’s expectations and in line with current Marine best practices.
- Supervise stability, stability calculations and ballast operations, and maintain the watertight integrity.
- Supervise loading and unloading operations.
- Ensure the COSHH regulations are adhered to in their department.
- Ensure safe stowage of hazardous materials (including radioactive sources, explosives etc.).
- Control of Helicopter operations.
- Inspect and maintain all lifting appliances onboard and keep register of all lifting equipment up to date.
- Maintain the marine certification and paperwork, ensuring that it is kept in date.
- Maintain marine planned maintenance including all marine, fire-fighting, and lifesaving equipment.
- Ensure Marine and Control Room logs are maintained correctly.
- Maintain regular contact with and instruct the stand by vessel of operational requirements.
- Comply with the Permit to Work System, ensuring compliance within the Marine department.
- Control Marine budget.
- Shall act as Ships Security Officer under the auspices of the ISPS code.
- Ensure that the Competence Assurance of the marine Department is dealt with in a timely manner and to the expectations of the company.
- Ensure that Offshore Marine Appraisals are conducted in accordance to company procedures and completed on schedule.
- Any other duties as required by Master/OIM and/or Shore based Management.
- Allocate tasks to Barge Engineer and provide adequate supervision in order to ensure that all such tasks are carried out in a safe and efficient manner.
- Responsible and accountable for the safety of the personnel working under their direction and shall be expected to conduct operations at all times in full compliance with company procedures (SMS).
- Identify and address any violations of procedures concerning personnel under their direction.
- Continuous or repeated violations of policies or procedures should be highlighted and brought to the attention of the HoD/Master-OIM.
- Comply with the Management of Change Principle.
- Actively participate in accident/incident investigations when required.
- Any other duties as required by the Master/OIM.
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
- Valid UK Class 1 (Master Mariner) Certificate of Competency or entitlement to obtain UK Class 1 (Master Mariner) Certificate of Equivalent Competency
- DP Certificate
- Previous, extensive experience on a drilling Unit
- Exposure to operations in areas such as Control Room Operator/Dynamic Positioning Officer/Senior Dynamic Positioning Officer on a drilling vessel including extensive Watch Keeping
- Ability to make rational decisions in high pressure situations
- Experience as a Barge Master on board a drilling vessel