Closing Date: December 2020
At Stena Drilling we operate our business with a focus on our core values of Care, Innovation and Performance. With a worldwide operational presence, we are one of the world’s foremost independent drilling contractors leading the way in offshore innovation and realise the importance of our world-class employees in the successful delivery of our safe, innovative, and efficient operations. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Barge Master to join our team. Some of the duties and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Acts as Head of the Marine Department Offshore.
- Deputises for Master/OIM in the event that the Master/OIM becomes incapacitated, second in command of the Vessel.
- Reviews and updates Risk Assessments & Rig Specific Work Methods with Marine crews on a regular basis. Ensure the appropriate Risk Assessment is reviewed prior to the commencement of each task. Update Risk Assessments and Rig Specific Work Methods and Procedures, following task completion where lessons learned can positively affect future similar operation.
- Supervise safety drills and emergency team training, ensuring that they are carried out in accordance to the company’s expectations.
- Ensure that Dynamic Positioning and/or Mooring Operations are conducted in accordance to the company’s expectations and in line with current Marine best practices.
- Supervise stability, stability calculations and ballast operations, and maintain the watertight integrity.
- Supervise loading and unloading operations and control of Helicopter operations.
- Ensure the COSHH regulations are adhered to in their department and ensure safe stowage of hazardous materials (including radioactive sources, explosives etc.).
- Inspect and maintain all lifting appliances onboard and keep register of all lifting equipment up to date.
- Maintain the marine certification and paperwork, ensuring that it is kept in date.
- Allocate tasks to Barge Engineer and provide adequate supervision in order to ensure that all such tasks are carried out in a safe and efficient manner.
- Maintain regular contact with and instruct the standby vessel of operational requirements.
- Ensure a supply of cement to the cement unit surge tank during cementing operations, whilst on duty.
- Comply with the Permit to Work System, ensuring compliance within the Marine department.
- Control and manager Marine budget.
- Shall act as Ships Security Officer under the auspices of the ISPS code.
Suitable Applicants should ideally have:
- Valid Marine Class 1 (Master Mariner) Certificate of Competency or entitlement to obtain UK Class 1 (Master Mariner) Certificate of Equivalent Competency.
- Unlimited DP Certificates & Stability 3 Certificate.
- In-depth knowledge working with Kongsberg DP Systems, carrying out FMEA’s and Sea Trials.
- Vast experience in managing marine department offshore.
- Ability to make rational decisions in high pressure situations.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with head of departments offshore, shore-based management and with clients.
- Extensive experience on board a drilling unit.
- Demonstrate high level of professionalism, proactivity & positivity.