Closing Date: March 2019
Stena Drilling is one of the world’s leading companies in the development, construction and operation of offshore drilling rigs and drillships. Our fleet of four ultra-Deepwater drillships and Three semi-submersible rigs.
Stena Drilling manages an international drilling operation, based on experience from worldwide projects. Our core values are focused on care, innovation and performance.
The pursuit of these goals looks to ensure positive client relations, exceptional performance within our industry and strives to improve the safety, both to the environment and to all personnel involved.
As a family owned company, we realise the importance of our world class employees in the successful delivery of our safe and efficient drilling operations.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Bosun (Temporary) for initially 9 month contract assigned to one of our 6th Generation Deepwater Drillships.
The roles and responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to;
- Assist in the planned maintenance routines of Life Saving Appliances, Fire Fighting equipment and other marine equipment under the direction of the Barge Master / Engineer.
- Establish and maintain a Bosun’s store/workshop for use in the completion of Bosun’s duties.
- Assist in the issue, control and inventory of lifting equipment from the Lifting Gear Locker. Ensure lifting equipment is checked before issue and is fit for purpose. Current colour code I.D. and SWL to be clearly marked.
- Manage quarantined lifting equipment as per company procedure.
- Assist in the vessels wire change out program and carry out wire terminations as required
- Assist in the completion of accommodation maintenance when such tasks are not carried out by the Technical Department.
- Establish and control stock levels of marine consumables and equipment within the Bosun store ensuring requisitions requirements are passed onto the Barge Master in order to maintain agreed stock levels.
- Carry out tank soundings and assist with preparation for tank and void space inspections. All under Supervision of Barge Master / Barge Engineer.
- Maintain the vessels mooring equipment in a state of readiness and assist in mooring operations and preparations prior to port entry.
- Assist in the general upkeep of the vessel.
- The Barge Master / Barge Engineer will, as required by workload, sanction the release of a Roustabout to assist the Bosun in the completion of allocated tasks. The Bosun shall train and supervise such Roustabouts for the specific rig equipment and safe work methods as required to enable them to carry out tasks assigned to them.
Health, Safety & Environment
- Work according to and promote Stena Drilling’s HS&E Policies and Procedures as well as fully commit to preventing any damage to the environment.
- Responsible and accountable to conduct their tasks in full compliance with Stena Drilling Limited procedures.
- Comply with Stena Drilling procedures for management of risk and Safe Behaviour Programme; ensuring that a suitable and sufficient risk assessment is carried out for all work activities.
- Participate in the STOP system, complete and submit cards after discussions. Monitor and coach crew members to participate in STOP and carry out STOP audits.
- Promote Stena Drilling’s “Golden Rules” and the rig’s “House Rules” during team discussions.
- Attend and participate in Tool Box Talks and After Action Reviews.
- Ensure work site is safe and that all tools used are in a satisfactory condition.
- Ensure that storage, handling and use of chemicals are done in accordance with procedures.
- Ensure equipment is secured to prevent movement due to wind or rig motion.
- Ensure familiar with correct use, type and location of all Oil Spill Equipment.
- Comply with Stena Drilling’s waste segregation policy.
- Undertake training onshore and offshore to comply with the Training Matrix.
- Complete Stena Drilling’s Competence Assurance Scheme within 12 months of being assigned.
Qualifications & Experience
Essential qualifications for this role include Deck Rating Grade 1, Fire Team Member, FRC Coxswain, FF Lifeboat Coxswain, Rigging & Lifting LOLER. Desirable qualifications include HLO, Fire Team Leader, Wire Termination & Crane Operator Stage 3. Previous experience offshore Boatswain or Chief Petty Officer at sea.