Design Engineer / Naval Architect
Location: Base - Aberdeen
Closing Date: January 2019
Stena Drilling is one of the world’s leading companies in the development, construction and operation of offshore drilling rigs and drillships. Our fleet of four ultra-Deepwater drillships and Three semi-submersible rigs.
Stena Drilling manages an international drilling operation, based on experience from worldwide projects. Our core values are focused on care, innovation and performance.
The pursuit of these goals looks to ensure positive client relations, exceptional performance within our industry and strives to improve the safety, both to the environment and to all personnel involved.
As a family owned company, we realise the importance of our world class employees in the successful delivery of our safe and efficient drilling operations.
We are currently have a new and exciting opportunity for a Design Engineer / Naval Architect, to join out team. Some of the duties and responsibilities of the role include but are not limited to;
- Responsible for all engineering design work, other than that allocated to the Project Department, associated with the upgrade, modification and renewal of rig structure and equipment.
- Produce project specifications, calculations and drawings for rig modifications.
- Review and respond to engineering requirements for Modification Requests.
- Coordinate deadweight surveys, inclining experiments, loading computer updates and control of associated documentation.
- Review mooring analysis reports and assist in coordination of location approvals.
- Control of hydrodynamic information following rig modifications.
- Prepare project specifications for third party contractors to tender for rig modification workscopes.
- Review bid packages and prepare summaries to assist in highlighting the most suitable third party contractor for selection.
- Review and control of engineering work from third party contractors.
- Project manage design, fabrication and installation of upgrade, modification and renewal projects including site supervision as required
- Conduct offshore surveys
- Ensure as-built drawings are maintained and engineering documentation is revised, as necessary, following rig modifications.
- Ensure that appropriate engineering rules & standards are available for use and are referenced, as necessary, on drawings and calculations.
- Provide engineering input for drawings produced by Stena Drilling.
- Provide technical checking and approval of drawings produced by Stena Drilling, ensuring compliance with drawing standards.
- Provide engineering support for rig tenders.
- Review engineering aspects of new equipment proposed for the rig fleet.
- Review and respond to engineering queries in a timely and judicious manner.
- Prepare submissions to class, flag, certifying authorities and government bodies as required.
- Liaise with Government Bodies, Flag and Classification Societies to ensure compliance with requirements.
- Review engineering aspects of proposed legislation and regulatory changes that may affect the rig fleet.
- Report findings of audits, inspections and meetings to Management.
- Any other duties as required by the Senior Design Engineer.
Qualifications and Experience;
Qualifications for this position include an Engineering Degree (MEng, BEng or equivalent) or a Naval Architecture Degree. The successful applicant will have previous experience in rig related design, project engineering, deadweight surveys and inclining experiments also experience in various position appropriate software.