Knuckleboom Crane Operator
Closing Date: December 2020
At Stena Drilling we operate our business with a focus on our core values of Care, Innovation and Performance. With a worldwide operational presence, we are one of the world’s foremost independent drilling contractors leading the way in offshore innovation and realise the importance of our world-class employees in the successful delivery of our safe, innovative, and efficient operations. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Knuckleboom Crane Operator to join our team. Some of the duties and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Ensure all lifts are carried out in a safe manner and in accordance to the company’s expectations.
- Ensure a Lifting Assessment / Plan in place for all lifting operations, involving all those participating in the lifting operation.
- Perform pre-use checks of the Lifting Appliance prior to commencing any operations. Any defects must be recorded and passed to the Barge Master or designate in a timely manner.
- Shall report any damage or incidents that occur to the crane or structure during lifting operations immediately to the Barge Master or designate in a timely manner.
- Select appropriate lifting gear for the lift in question ensuring the valid lifting colour code in use.
- Ensure that the lifting appliance and lifting gear are in good condition for their purpose and in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for use, specifications and instructions.
- Ensure that the lifting appliance is maintained in accordance with the maintenance programme.
- May in some instances carry out first line maintenance, in accordance with the maintenance programme. For more technical maintenance this will be the responsibility of the Chief Engineer and their subordinates.
- On moored units – Participate in rig moving operations including operation of anchor winches on-board under supervision of Barge Master/ Engineer.
- Advise DPO / Control Room Operator prior to the movement of any heavy lifts.
- Ensure that necessary communication is established between all personnel involved in the lifting operation.
- Coordinate the lifting operation in relation to other on-going activities.
- Ensure that equipment is securely fastened, and that adequate checks are performed on any lift prior to commencement.
- Be fully aware of the use, type and location of all Fire Fighting Equipment and Life Saving Equipment.
- Be fully aware of the correct use, type and location of all Oil Spill Equipment.
- Act as one of the Helicopter Landing Officers onboard the vessel.
- Carry out daily, weekly and monthly heli-fuel checks and maintenance as per Planned Maintenance System, Manufacturer’s recommendations and Helicopter Operator requirements. Report any defects immediately to the Barge Master or designate.
- Manage deck areas and spaces, ensuring good housekeeping is maintained in all of these areas.
- Mentor and Support the Roustabout crew placed in their charge.
- Emergency Duties as defined in the vessels Emergency Station Bill.
- Any other duties as required by the Barge Master.
Suitable Applicants should have:
- Stage 3 Crane Operator Certificate, HLO, Helideck & Fire Team Leader.
- AB Ticket or Deck Rating 1 or 2 and Dangerous Goods certificates would be advantageous.
- Experience operating 85t NOV Knuckleboom cranes and riser overhead gantry crane.
- Ability to lead and manage a deck crew effectively.
- Coach and mentor any new personnel including any local crew.
- Experience in creating lifting plans and risk assessments.
- Knowledge of any LOLER amendments.